Start to Finish: 20 minutes
Difficulty Level: Beginner
The lemon drop martini is a delicious drink that is a party pleaser and looks as good as it tastes. The lemon and syrup lend a sweet-and-sour taste to this vodka cocktail. This cocktail gets better each time you make it -- as you discover what sweet-and-sour balance is perfect for you. This recipe is adapted from Drinks Mixer and makes the perfect lemon drop martini.
- Lemon wedge, for martini glass
- Superfine sugar, for martini glass
- 1 1/2 ounces citrus vodka
- 1/2 ounce Cointreau
- 2 ounces simple syrup
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
Rinse a martini glass but do not dry it; put the glass in the freezer and let it chill for 15 minutes.
Take a lemon wedge and cut a slit in the middle. Slip the lemon wedge on the rim of the chilled martini glass and move the wedge around the glass until it's slightly moist. Dip and rotate the martini glass into sugar.
Put four to five cubes of ice in a cocktail shaker; add the vodka, triple sec, syrup and lemon juice into the shaker.
Shake vigorously for about 20 seconds or until the ingredients are combined.
Put a cocktail strainer over the mouth of the shaker; pour the martini into the chilled glass.
Garnish the drink with a lemon twist and serve.
Make Simple Syrup
Syrup dissolves better in a cocktail than granulated sugar. To make simple syrup, add equal parts of water and sugar to a saucepan over a medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir continuously until the sugar has dissolved and the water has reduced.
- Balance the sweet and sour components by adjusting the lemon and syrup to your taste. Add more lemon for a sour martini and more syrup for a sweeter drink.
- Use freshly squeezed lemon juice. Incorporate the juice from the lemon you used for the lemon twist and wedge. Concentrated lemon juice may be too tangy and sour.
- Use a high-quality vodka, such as Grey Goose for a smooth taste.