Obtaining a marriage license is an important step in making your marriage legal. Follow these guidelines on how to obtain a marriage license if you plan to wed in Texas.
Things You'll Need
- Divorce decree, annulment paper or death certificate, if applicable
- Marriage license application
- Photo identification or certified copies of birth certificates
Apply for the marriage license in person at a county clerk's office.
Present proof of age and identity. A driver's license, state-issued birth certificate or passport are acceptable forms of identification for this purpose. Applicants may also be asked to provide Social Security numbers.
Complete the application and sign it in front of the county clerk. If this is not possible, any adult or the other applicant may apply on behalf of the absent applicant. Contact the local county clerk for additional requirements.
Pay the license fee and head to the altar. There must be at least 72 hours between the date and time of issuance of a license and the time the ceremony occurs, unless one applicant is on active duty in the armed forces or a waiver is granted. A marriage license is valid for 30 days. With the 72-hour waiting period, there is only a 27-day period in which the marriage ceremony can take place.
Tips & Warnings
- When applying for a marriage license, each applicant must indicate that he or she has not been divorced within the last 30 days (unless the applicants were divorced from each other).
- The marriage ceremony does not have to occur in Texas. The ceremony may occur in another state, another country or in international waters. However, the applicants should realize that if questions arise, the validity of the marriage may be subject to the jurisdiction of the area where the marriage occurred. Research the laws and seek independent legal advice before the ceremony if necessary.
- Blood tests are not required in Texas.
- Marriage license requirements often change. Verify all information with the local marriage license office or county clerk before making any wedding or travel arrangements.
How to Get a Marriage License
Marriage is a legally binding agreement between two people. The requirements for a marriage license vary from state to state, but there...
How to Get a Marriage License While Stationed Overseas
Many times military personnel find themselves at a loss as to the guidelines, laws and regulations pertaining to obtaining a marriage license...
Steps to Getting Married in Texas
You and your significant other have finally decided to tie the knot in Texas. Along with selecting a wedding venue, generating a...