Your living room may be filled with potential fire hazards. Don't panic - just take a few minutes, follow these simple steps, and avoid a living room fire.
Things You'll Need
- Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Fireplace Screens
- Smoke Detectors
- Fireproof Safes
- Fire Extinguishers
- Combination Smoke/carbon Monoxide Detectors
Check all the electrical wires and cords of appliances you use in the living room, including electric clocks, televisions, stereo systems and lamps. Check cords periodically to be sure they are not frayed.
Avoid using extension cords - use junction boxes with built-in ground fault interrupters (GFIs) instead. If there is a surge or short in the appliance, wiring or plug, the GFI will shut down the power.
Dispose of any broken electrical appliances.
Make sure to keep matches and lighters out of the hands of children. Put them in high places where tiny hands can't get to them.
Avoid using candles in the living room. If you choose to use them, place candles in safe, non-flammable holders and extinguish them when you leave the room.
Make sure that long curtains and furniture don't block any heater vents.
Secure your fireplace with a sturdy screen.
Have your fireplace cleaned and checked if it has been more than a year since the last cleaning.
Never store any flammable materials near the fireplace.
Tips & Warnings
- Check smoke detectors regularly.
- Teach children not to play with matches.
- Check all sofas and chairs after anyone has been smoking there. Hot cigarette butts can cause fires in the cushions and the fabric.