Hard water leaves calcium deposits on glassware. These deposits appear as a white, cloudy haze along glass rims and other surfaces. Softening your water won’t always prevent cloudy glassware issues; in some cases, it can make the problem worse, because the soft water may not remove all the dishwasher detergent. Detergent that is left behind can also leave a film on glassware, or even etch the glass over time. Remove the haze from your cloudy glassware immediately to avoid possibly compounding the problem through inattention.
Things You'll Need
- Dishwasher rinse aid
- White vinegar
- Fine sand
- Denatured alcohol
Fill your dishwasher’s rinse aid reservoir with a dishwasher rinse aid or white household vinegar to reduce water-spotting-related cloudiness. White vinegar should also help remove calcium deposits. Load your cloudy dishes into the dishwasher and run the unit.
Attack cloudy glasses that remain cloudy with a more direct application of vinegar. Fill a small plastic tub with equal parts water and white vinegar. Place a piece of cloudy glassware into the tub, and let it soak for a few hours. Rinse the glass in clean water, and wipe it dry. Cut a lemon in half, and rub the exposed fruit along the surfaces of glassware that is still cloudy.
Add a few teaspoons of fine sand to the inside of the glassware. Fill the interior a quarter full with denatured alcohol. Gently swirl this mixture inside your glassware, and rinse.
Tips & Warnings
- Load your dishwasher as directed by the manufacturer. Strong streams of water can flip over loosely placed glasses, and water and detergent will collect inside the cup during the cycle. The pooled liquid leaves a cloudy haze that remains after you pour away the water and detergent.
- Your glassware’s cloudiness may be a result of etching instead of a film. Etching appears as the result of many tiny scratches, typically because of soap residue or glasses rubbing against each other during washing cycles. If your glasses are etched, you may not be able to restore them. Your best bet is to take your glassware to a glasshouse, where professionals can give them an acid bath.
- The Art of the Table: A Complete Guide to Table Setting, Table Manners…; Suzanne Von Drachenfels
- All-New Hints From Heloise: a Household Guide for the '90s; Heloise
- International Society for Automation: Microscopic Scratches Can Lead to Cloudy Glasses
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images
How to Clean Cloudy Glassware
Cloudy glassware is a fact of life for people who have hard water in their homes. Hard water contains a high mineral...
How to Restore Shine to Old Glass Crystal
Over time, vintage or antique crystal can lose its sheen, becoming cloudy and dusty. The best way to keep this from happening...
How to Clean Cloudy Antique Glass
How to Restore Cloudy Back Glass in a Convertible. Plastic convertible rear windows that have been subjected to the elements can fog...
How to Restore Cloudy Back Glass in a Convertible
Plastic convertible rear windows that have been subjected to the elements can fog up due to oxidation, water stains, sunlight fading and...
Care for Cloudy Crystal Glassware
Most crystal glassware is meant to stay sparkling and clear, but true crystal can encounter difficulties that many types of glassware today...
How to Get Diswasher Cloudiness Off of My Wine Glasses
When wine glasses come out of the dishwasher with a white, cloudy film on them, the film is from mineral deposits. If...
How to Prevent Cloudy Glassware in the Dishwasher
How frustrating to pull your clean dishes out of the dishwasher - only to find a thick film of residue has coated...
How to Remove Mineral Deposits on a Glass Pitcher
How to Remove Mineral Deposits on a Glass Pitcher. Hard water mineral deposits on glassware form over time. ... How to Clean...
How to Restore a Glass Table
Glass tables are typically very durable. The glass used to make a tabletop is tempered, meaning that it's chemically treated to endure...
Glass Tint Colors
Bronze is a traditional glass tint color for homes and businesses. ... Restore, Don't Replace You May Like. Car Window Tinting Ideas....
How to Determine the Value of Old Glassware
Glassware, ranging from the practical to the decorative, is highly collectible. A number of factors play into determining the value of glassware,...
How to Get Rid of Waterspots on Glassware
The longer water spots remain on glass, the more difficult they are to remove. ... Cloudy water in an aquarium is a...