Sheeting fabric, sold in wide widths at fabric stores, hemmed up turns into a DIY flat sheet perfectly designed for your twin bed. A few cuts and rows of straight stitching, and a flat sheet becomes fitted at the corners. The same trick that turns a homemade flat sheet into a fitted sheet can be used to make any commercial flat sheet fitted as well.
- Sheeting fabric
- Sewing machine
- 1-inch-wide non-roll elastic, 48 inches
- Grid cutting mat
Cut sheeting fabric to 67 by 106 inches.
Press a 1/4-inch hem on both long edges of the fabric. Fold and pin an additional 1/4-inch hem, and stitch this hem in place with a sewing machine. Repeat on the bottom short edge of the sheet.
Press a 1-inch hem along the top of edge of the sheet. Fold and press a second, 9-inch hem on the same edge. Pin this hem, then sew across it. Make a second flat sheet to use in making a fitted sheet.
Lay one corner of a flat sheet on a grid cutting mat. Measure and mark a spot 13 1/2 inches from each side of the corner. Draw a 13 1/2-inch line from each of these marks, making a square. Cut out the square with scissors. Repeat on all four sides.
Bring the sides of each cut corner together and pin. Sew along these seams. This turns the flat sheet into a box-shaped fitted sheet.
Cut four pieces of 1-inch non-roll elastic, 12 inches each. Pin one end of a piece of elastic 6 inches from one corner of the sheet, with the bottom edge of the sheet lined up with the bottom edge of the elastic. Sew the elastic to the sheet, stretching the elastic as you sew, until you've reached 6 inches on the opposite side of the corner. Trim the excess elastic. This draws the fabric in, elasticizing the corner. Repeat on all corners to make a fitted sheet.
- Daily Finance; Savings Experiment: Make Your Own Bedding and Other Ways to Sleep on the Cheap; Julia Scott; March 2011
- Crafting a Green World; Turn a Flat Sheet into a Fitted Sheet in 10 Minutes Flat; Julie Finn; July 2010
- Sew Inspirational; Prints Charming: Make Your Own Bed Linen; Sue Neall
- Decorating Kid Rooms: Bed Dimensions and Bedding Sizes
- Photo Credit Janie Airey/Lifesize/Getty Images