Are Morning Glory Flowers Poisonous to Dogs?

Save
Morning glory flowers are toxic to dogs.
Morning glory flowers are toxic to dogs. (Image: morning glory-blue image by Susan Bradley from Fotolia.com)

Morning glory flowers are lovely, but they can be a dangerous addition to any home that has dogs. Dogs that ingest morning glory flowers or its seeds may suffer serious adverse effects.

Identification

Morning glory flowers are members of the Convolvulaceae family and are most commonly found in warm areas. They grow on vines and produce funnel-shaped blooms that open only during morning hours.

Potential

Present in morning glory flowers are the alkaloids lysergic acid and chanoclavine, both of which are poisonous to dogs.

Effects

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, dogs that ingest morning glory flowers may exhibit gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, loss of appetite and diarrhea. Other symptoms such as agitation, disorientation, ataxia and tremors may occur as well. Ingesting morning glory seeds is known to cause hallucinations in animals and humans.

Response

If your dog ingests morning glory flowers, contact your veterinarian immediately. The ASPCA suggests taking a sample of the flower ingested by your dog with you to the veterinarian for proper plant identification. This will enable the veterinarian to form the correct treatment plan for your dog.

Related Searches

References

Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How to Make a Vertical Clay Pot Garden

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!