Dangerous Ingestion of a Glass Cleaner

Save
Glass cleaner contains ammonia, which is poisonous.
Glass cleaner contains ammonia, which is poisonous. (Image: glass cleaner image by Randy McKown from Fotolia.com)

The chief health hazard of using standard glass cleaner comes from inhaling the mist from the bottle or from getting the mist in your eyes. If glass cleaner is ingested, it can pose a serious health risk.

Chemicals

Household glass cleaners contain chemicals including ammonia and isopropanol, according to the Cleveland Clinic. Ammonia is a powerful chemical cleaner that is diluted for household use. It is also poisonous.

Dangers

If a person ingests glass cleaner, she will be ingesting poisonous ammonia. She could experience health symptoms like drowsiness or could fall unconscious. In severe cases, ingesting ammonia could cause death. If someone swallows glass cleaner, give her water or milk to drink to dilute the chemical and contact your poison control center immediately.

Solutions

It is important to keep glass cleaner out of the reach of children and to understand that it is dangerous. A nontoxic alternative glass cleaning solution can be created by mixing vinegar and water, according to the New York City Department of Sanitation.

Related Searches

References

Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!