Mushrooms are a fungal body that feed on decaying organic matter. They are more prevalent during wet weather, and often appear after a rainfall. Their food source can sometimes be several inches below the soil's surface, making it impossible to remove without destroying your flowers. Fortunately, there are some effective steps you can take to remove current mushroom growth and prevent future growth without damaging your flowers.
Things You'll Need
- Garbage bag
Video of the Day
Pull up the mushrooms in the flower bed by snapping them off at the base. Discard the mushrooms in a garbage bag.
Spray a general-purpose fungicide on the spots where the mushrooms were present. Follow the package directions when applying the fungicide. Wait seven days for the fungicide to take affect.
Run a rake over the soil or mulch in your flower bed to increase air circulation. Mushrooms thrive in wet conditions, and increasing air circulation will help dry out the soil or mulch.
Insert the sharp edge of a shovel into the soil at a depth of 5 inches in between each of your flower plants. This will further aerate the soil and increase air circulation.
Remove any dead or decaying organic matter from the flower bed, including fallen leaves or petals or organic mulch. Replace the mulch with inorganic mulch such as small gravel rocks.