If you're planning on making your own aged cheese, you will need to coat it with cheese wax to prevent mold from growing on the cheese and to prevent moisture loss. Save money on purchasing the wax for coating it by making your own from household items. The secret to making homemade food-grade wax is non-toxic crayons. This cheese wax recycles broken crayons and melted unscented candle stubs to produce a cheese coating for aging. Without these around your home, use paraffin wax sold in craft stores for candle making instead. While non-toxic, you should still remove the wax before consuming the cheese.
Things You'll Need
Broken unscented candles, crayons or paraffin wax
Cheese for aging
Remove the wicks from any unscented candle pieces and break apart the candles and crayons to hasten melting, or chop the paraffin wax into small pieces.
Put the candle pieces and crayon bits into a saucepan over low heat.
Stir with a wooden spoon until the crayons and candles completely melt.
Dip a paintbrush into the melted wax and paint a heavy layer of wax over the entire surface of the cheese. Alternatively, pour the melted wax over the cheese and spread it to cover the entire surface with the paint brush.
Always use unscented candle pieces as the scents added could change the taste of your cheese.