Mold is a living organism that feeds on moisture. Damp locations in your home can harbor mold and mildew, even if you don't see it. Mold is unsightly and can cause health problems. Inspect your home carefully to tell if your house has mold.
Things You'll Need
- Humidity kit
Video of the Day
Look at the walls in your home, especially in rooms that hold moisture, such as the basement and bathrooms. Walls that sport black, green, orange or brown areas of discoloration that do not wipe away, or recur, are most likely affected by mold.
Use the nose test to tell if your house has mold. Sniff around without the benefit of air fresheners. If your house smells damp or musty, you may have mold even if you cannot see it growing.
Check your closets for signs of mold or mildew. Your clothing, towels or bed linen may be mildewed in spots if there is mold growing in your home.
Assess the health of your family. Some molds are toxic and can cause allergy symptoms in some people, according to the Mayo Clinic. Common signs to look for are persistent nasal congestion, runny noses, itchy, watery eyes, throat irritation and a cough.
Measure the level of humidity in your house. Humidity kits are available at home improvement stores. The Federal Citizen Information Center explains that you are more likely to be affected by mold if your home's humidity measures more than 50 percent. Run a dehumidifier to take moisture out of the air and to lower the chances of growing mold.