How to Kill Mold Under the House

Save
(Image: Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images)

Mold is toxic. It can grow virtually anywhere that is warm and moist. To reduce or eliminate health problems stemming from a mold contamination, the mold must be treated immediately. If the area of mold exceeds 30 square feet, it is highly recommended to call a professional to contain the mold, and help to replace and/or repair any damaged and contaminated areas underneath the house. If the area of mold encompasses less than 30 square feet, the important things to remember are containment, cleanup, and renovations.

Things You'll Need

  • Biocide
  • Abrasive sponge
  • Disinfectant
  • Replacement structures, walls, etc
  • Rubber gloves
  • Face mask
  • Safety goggles

Put on the safety goggles, face mask, and rubber gloves.

Spray all walls and structures with the biocide. After spraying the entire area, scrub with the abrasive sponge. Let the biocide dry.

Spray the entire space with a disinfectant spray such as Lysol. Let the disinfectant dry.

Replace any porous structures, walls, flooring, or ceiling tiles that have mold on them or through them.

Tips & Warnings

  • Biocides, disinfectants, and other similar cleaners are poisonous. Do not swallow or get into your eyes. Failure to heed this warning may result in serious injury or death. Replace any contaminated materials in your home, and repair any leaks. Failure to do so will result in further contamination and damage to your home.

References

Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

You May Also Like

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!