How to Get an Anniversary Greeting From President Barack Obama

eHow may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.
A quick letter to the White House is all that is necessary to receive an anniversary greeting.
Image Credit: Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images

Most Americans know that they can write letters to the president and the other government representatives currently in office. What many people don't know is that you can request greetings for special occasions, including birthdays, weddings and anniversaries from the White House. These free greetings are signed by the president of the United States; they make a commemorative and one-of-a-kind gift to give on special occasions. At the time of publication, recipients will receive a letter signed by President Barack Obama.

Step 1

Determine if the married couple is eligible. The White House only sends anniversary greetings to United States citizens for their 50th, 60th, 70th or later anniversaries.

Step 2

Compose a letter requesting the anniversary greeting. The White House recommends that you type your letter on an 8 1/2-by-11 inch piece of paper. If you are sending a handwritten letter, write neatly and use a pen. Your request should also include your name and daytime phone number, the names and address of the couple who are having the anniversary, how to address them (Mr., Mrs., etc.), their anniversary date and the number of years they have been married.

Step 3

Address an envelope to the White House. Use the White House's full address: The White House, Attn: Greetings Office, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500. Include your return address on your letter as well as on your envelope. If you have an email address, include it as well. Alternatively, mail the letter to your local congressman's office.

Step 4

Mail your request several months before the anniversary date. The White House Greetings Office is often overwhelmed with correspondence and recommends that individuals plan ahead for a slow response.


To get your letter to the White House faster, fax it to 202-456-2461.

The White House prefers that you make your request by email using the electronic form located at

references & resources