Poisonous Daylilies

Daylilies are not poisonous to humans.
Daylilies are not poisonous to humans. (Image: John Foxx/Stockbyte/Getty Images)

Daylilies (Hemerocallis), are a popular flowering plant found in many American gardens. Known for their orange flowers that resemble a trumpet, daylilies are not poisonous to humans or dogs. However, they do pose a danger to cats.

Video of the Day

Time Frame

Your cat will likely develop symptoms of daylily poisoning a few hours after eating the plant. The first symptoms to appear will be lethargy, lack of appetite and vomiting.

Warning

If your cat has eaten daylilies, its symptoms will continue to worsen without immediate veterinary care. If left untreated, your cat will likely go into kidney failure from eating daylilies.

Identification

Every part of the daylily, from the flower to the stem, is poisonous to cats. However, if your kids, horses or dogs eat some, they will have no reaction whatsoever.

References

Promoted By Zergnet
M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.