This winter, protect yourself from the cold in the most stylish way. It might be a dreary day, but that doesn’t mean your accessories must follow suit. With some basic stitching and just a few supplies, you can whip up an eye-catching fleece headband to keep your ears warm. This type of material is amazing for the colder weather – we know you’ll love it!
– Fabric scissors
– Sewing needle & thread
– Jeweled brooch
– Straight pins
– Sewing machine
1. Cut 2 segments of fleece measuring 2.5 x 22 inches each.
2. Lay one segment horizontally on your work surface with the other vertically on top of it.
3. Take the left side of the horizontal strip and fold it over the other, so that the ends of the horizontal strip meet on the right side.
4. Bring the ends of the vertical strip together so the two strips interlock.
5. Bring the ends of both strips together so that all four layers (two from each side) meet.
6. Pin the four layers in place.
7. Carefully sew through all 4 layers.
8. Tie a double knot and cut away the excess thread. If necessary, trim the edges of the fleece to straighten them out.
9. Add a few hand stitches to keep the fleece in place. I added a few stitches near the center where the fleece interlocked, in order to keep the fleece strips from shifting.
10. Pin the brooch to the center of the head wrap where the two strips interlock. If you’d like, glue the brooch in place to secure it. This is ideal if you are not planning to re-use the brooch.
Once the glue has dried, your headband is ready to wear!
Photo credits: Kirsten Nunez (Step-by-Step Tutorial) & Haruka Sakaguchi of The Denizen Co. (Street Style)
More from Kirsten Nunez