This braided leather and chain bracelet DIY showcases how combining different textures can add an element of the unexpected to your look. Scrap leather is wrapped around heavy duty chain, bit by bit. The end result? An interesting effect that looks just like a braid. Follow the step-by-step tutorial below.
– 3-in-1 pliers
– Scrap leather or pleather
– Heavy-duty curb chain (wrist measurement)
– Large jewelry clasp
– 10mm jump rings (2)
1. Cut a strip of leather measuring just under 1/2 inch wide and at least 24 inches long.
2. Lay the curb chain flat on your work surface–this will make braiding the leather around each link easier. Insert the leather through the first link, adjusting it so you have an equal length of leather on each side.
3. Bring the upper strand over the lower strand.
4. Insert it through the second chain link and bring it to the left.
5. Bring this strand over to the right side, folding it over the chain link.
6. Take the upper strand and lay it over the lower one.
7. Insert it through the third chain link.
8. Bring it over to the right side, folding it over the chain link.
9. Repeat this sequence (Steps 3-8) until you have reached the end. Tie a tight double knot.
10. Trim away the excess.
11. Attach a jewelry clasp to one end using a jump ring. Attach a second jump ring to the opposite end. This completes your bracelet.
Once you start wrapping the leather around the chain, the surprisingly easy nature of this technique will unfold. It’s much simpler than it looks! To style your new bracelet, pair it with thinner bracelets in coordinating colors and materials for an awesome set of arm candy.
Photo credits: Kirsten Nunez (Step-by-Step Tutorial) & Haruka Sakaguchi of The Denizen Co. (Street Style)
More from Kirsten Nunez