Veterans Day — which falls on Nov. 11, a Tuesday this year — recognizes and remembers the courageous military members who defend our country. As part of this celebration, many businesses across the United States offer discounts or freebies to those who serve, veterans and their families. Here’s a roundup of these promotions.
- Participating Applebee’s locations are offering vets and active duty military a free dine-in meal from a special menu with proof of service on Veterans Day only.
- Busch Gardens, SeaWorld and Sesame Place are offering 50 percent off single-day admission for veterans and service members and up to five guests. Purchase tickets by Veterans Day, and redeem them by Dec. 21, 2014.
- East Coast Wings & Grill, with locations across the southeastern U.S., is offering veterans with valid military ID a free appetizer (excluding items from the Sharables section of the menu) or a free dessert of their choice with a minimum purchase of $10.
- Estate Assist will be offering 25 percent off to all military members and veterans who sign up for Estate Assist Safe — online storage for important documents and account information — through estateassist.com/veteransday (on Veterans Day only).
- Fashion rental website, Kookopa, is offering $25 off the total purchase for military personnel and their families throughout the month of November with promo code VETERANS.
- McCormick & Schmick’s is serving a complimentary meal to veterans with valid ID on Sunday, Nov. 9. Dine-in only; reservations are recommended.
- National Parks will waive entrance fees for all visitors (not just veterans) on Veterans Day.
- Wayback Burgers, which has 85 locations in 24 states across the U.S., will offer a free Wayback Classic Burger with the purchase of any side and any drink to veterans and active-duty military who present a valid form of military ID.
- Los Angeles: The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles (spcaLA) is teaming up with Animals for Armed Forces and will waive adoption fees for up to 50 current, former or retired military members or their immediate family members on Nov. 8 and 9 (Veterans Day weekend). Check with your local SPCA to see if they’re offering any fee waivers.
- Mesa, Arizona: Clean Air Cab is offering free rides to veterans who show valid military ID on Veterans Day.
- Georgia: Several Georgia locations of Buffalo’s Café will be offering veterans with military ID a free meal worth up to $10. Veterans and emergency service personnel can receive 10 percent off their meal year-round. Call ahead to see if your local restaurant is participating.
- Williamsburg, Virginia: Colonial Williamsburg will have special events including a battle re-enactment and musical performances during Veterans Day weekend. Active-duty military, reservists, retirees, veterans and their direct dependents receive free admission for the entire Veterans Day weekend, Nov. 7 to 11.
Photo credit: Getty Creative