National Grandparents’ Day was this past Sunday and, hopefully, you highlighted it on your calendar with a big ol’ “DON’T FORGET!” (That is, if the grandparents hadn’t already done that for you.)
As I oversaw assembly of my kids’ celebratory macaroni art cards (yes, Grandpa, those extra-big pieces of pasta are supposed to be your ears — sorry!), I couldn’t help but reflect on what makes grandparents so special… as well as so very different from us parents. To wit:
7 Differences Between Parents and Grandparents
7. PARENT: Doesn’t understand why child is throwing a tantrum.
GRANDPARENT: Doesn’t understand what YOU did to make precious grandchild throw a tantrum.
6. PARENT: Insists on using sterilized, organic teething toys.
GRANDPARENT: Remembers a time when teething kids gnawed on whiskey-soaked washcloths and dirty wooden blocks, and they turned out just FINE, thank you very much.
5. PARENT: “No dessert until you finish your vegetables!”
GRANDPARENT: “Would you like candy after you finish that cupcake?”
4. PARENT: Wakes up 2-3 times a night to feed the baby.
GRANDPARENT: Wakes up 2-3 times a night to empty the bladder.
3. PARENT: Disciplines bad behavior with a time-out.
GRANDPARENT: Laughs at bad behavior and calls it “karma.”
2. PARENT: “You need to go to bed! It’s almost eight o’clock!”
GRANDPARENT: “It’s nine o’clock? Okay, you can watch one more movie.”
1.PARENT: Thankful to hand off kids to grandparents for a few hours of peace.
GRANDPARENT: Thankful to hand kids back to parents after a few hours of chaos.
Photo credit: iclipart.com