If you’re headed to a party or overnight stay with friends, it’s nice to bring a sweet gift with you as a thanks. Hostess gifts don’t have to be expensive. Just tap into your inner DIY goddess to create simple hostess gifts for an extra special touch. Lemon syrup is my favorite hostess gift to make.
This lemon syrup can keep in the refrigerator for up to three months, making it fabulous for last-minute hostess gifts. Keep a few bottles on hand, and you’ll have a sweet gift ready in seconds.
I chose a salad dressing jar for my lemon syrup because I love the easy-pour spout. You could use swing-top bottles, mason jars or olive oil bottles too. Any glass container will be just fine for this syrup.
Things You’ll Need
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Strainer (optional)
- Glass bottles
- Gift tags
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, lemon and water. Bring to a boil and remove.
- You can either strain the zest out or keep it in for an extra punch of lemon flavor.
- Pour in the lemon juice and stir gently.
- Bottle and add round gift label (below).
Makes about 3 1/2 cups
I package smaller bottles in mini berry baskets with a fresh lemon for a hostess gift. This could also be a fabulous idea for a housewarming gift, party favor or teacher gift. Print off the tags below to add a little extra pizzazz!
You might be wondering how one can use this delicious lemon syrup? Here are a few of my favorite ways…
- Add a splash of sweetened ice tea, cocktails (martinis and margaritas), and even water!
- Pour over ice cream, vanilla pound cake, or other desserts.
- Whip it into frosting or glaze for cupcakes, cakes, and other baked goods.
- Make lemon ice cubes to chill your favorite beverages.
- Drizzle over fresh fruit or yogurt.
Photos by Courtney Whitmore
Get more celebrating and entertaining ideas from Courtney Whitmore