Whether going after a weekend home project or a major overhaul, the unexpected always rears its ugly face. But with a few tried and true rules for remodeling, there are ways to keep your stress level low and your eye on the prize.
1. Plan ahead. 95% of remodeling headaches can be eliminated before they even happen with a little planning. Having a good feel for exactly what you want the end result to look like, as well as having a realistic idea of your budget (including wiggle room for unexpected expenses) makes all the difference in your stress level. The more planning you do on the front end, the better off you (and your budget!) will be.
2. Know yourself and your limits. Tackling a project DIY-style while ignoring that little voice inside your head screaming to call a professional, often results in a loss of time, money and patience. Know your limits, which change over time, so reassess before each project and honestly ask yourself if you can do the task at hand.
3. Stay organized. Organization at the beginning is key, but staying organized is essential. Keep a file for all estimates and receipts. Staying on top of your plans and expenses helps keep your head on straight and blood pressure low.
4. Laugh and laugh often. The world will not end with one plumbing setback. Learn from it and move on. If all else fails, never underestimate the power of a glass of wine after a long day of remodeling.
– Cara Wilkerson writes the real estate and home improvement blog Live the Home Life.