Stuffed mushrooms are one of those recipes that practical cooks love; it makes delicious use of leftover mushrooms and is bound to please your crowd. This traditional dish is a cozy recipe for sure, but it’s filled with gluten, butter, dairy and a bunch of other ingredients that pack a day’s worth of unhealthy ingredients. This season calls for a new mushroom. How about the same comfort-filled yummy recipe that’s filled with fiber, nutrients and is a heck of a lot healthier?
Crusty gluten-free cracker crumbs and ground flax seeds create a crunchy finishing touch for these mushrooms. It’s a hearty, stick-to-your-ribs kind of appetizer that will leave you feeling lighter, just in time for spring. The best part? They’re free of gluten, dairy, and soy and are suitable for vegetarians and vegans!
Makes 28 Mushrooms
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Vegetarian & Vegan
- ½ cup crushed gluten-free crackers
- 2 Tbsp. organic ground flax seeds (I used Barleans flax seeds, which are available nationwide)
- 2 Tbsp. Vegan Parmesan Cheese (I used Go! Veggie brand cheese for this recipe)
- 1/2 cup Vegan Mexican Cheese Shreds
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 28 large white button mushrooms, stemmed
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a large baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
- Stir the crackers, flax seeds, shredded cheese, garlic, parsley, sea salt and pepper, ground flax seeds and olive oil in a large bowl; mix well to combine.
- Stuff the filling into the mushroom cavities and arrange on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with vegan Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until the mushrooms are tender and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve warm.