When I was a little girl I used to love to watch my grandma cook — I especially loved watching her make homemade flour tortillas every day. If there were ever any tortillas left over after dinner, my grandma and I would slather a warm tortilla with requesón (ricotta cheese) and drizzle it with dark corn syrup for dessert. It might sound a little odd, but actually it was so decadent. I have been craving this simple pleasure and decided to add grilled peaches. I have a feeling grandma would approve.
This dish has to be the easiest recipe to make. It’s simple to prepare, not to mention fancy when garnished with a cute toothpick.
To make this recipe even easier, use store bought flour tortillas and a round cookie cutter for a cute presentation.
I love the flavor of grilled peaches — the grill softens the peaches and magnifies the sweetness and juiciness while adding a smoky flavor. The combination of grilled peaches, ricotta cheese, and syrup all wrapped up in a warm flour tortilla is heavenly. This is a great appetizer or dessert for a spring evening.
Mini Tortillas with Ricotta Cheese and Grilled Peaches
4 to 6 servings
- 4 flour tortillas
- 2 ripe peaches, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh requesón (ricotta cheese)
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup or maple syrup
- Cut 3-inch diameter circles out of the flour tortillas.
- Preheat a ridged griddle pan until very hot. Grill the sliced peaches for 2 to 4 minutes per side. Grill until the peaches are softened and are nicely char-marked.
- Place a dollop of fresh ricotta cheese on each of the tortilla rounds. Place a couple of peach slices over the cheese and drizzle with dark corn syrup or maple syrup.
- Serve flat or fold the tortillas over and garnish with a toothpick for an elegant sweet treat.
Yvette Marquez-Sharpnack is the writer at the award winning blog, MuyBuenoCookbook.com. She also is a professional recipe developer and food writer, and is the co-author of Muy Bueno: Three Generations of Authentic Mexican Flavor. You can watch a trailer for the book here.
Photo credit: Yvette Marquez