Last month, my husband and I decided to book a trip to California with our 2 1/2 and 4 month old sons. It seemed like a good idea – at the time. But now we are two weeks away from our first flight as a family of four and I have to admit, I’m panicking a little. My plan is to be as prepared as possible and hope for the best (that’s all any parent can do, right?).
Anyone who’s ever traveled with kids, whether it be by car or by plane, can tell you that a bag of tricks is essential in maintaining peace during your travels. We have our iPad charged and loaded with their favorite shows, a bunch of small toys and comfort items (a blankie and a paci). Even with all of that in tow, a mama still needs to be ready with other options and when I say other options, I mean SNACKS!
I like to bring one homemade item along with a bunch of other store-bought portable options. And now that my son is a big boy, he can be in charge of his own little backpack on wheels. Giving him this responsibility makes him feel very mature and frees up my arms to lug his baby brother around. Hooray!!
My Toddler’s Bag of Tricks:
- Backpack with handle and wheels
- Light pair of PJ’s or extra outfit
- Extra undies
- Insulated lunch bag
- Anti-bacterial wipes/baby wipes
- Empty water bottle
- Homemade snack (see recipe below for Banana Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins)
- Crunchy snacks in a reusable pouch
- Box of raisins
- Granola Bar
- Packaged cheese
- 1-2 small, thin books
- Small coloring book or notepad
Banana Chocolate Chip Mini-Muffins
Super moist, delicious and portable. These mini-muffins are perfectly sized for toddler snacking on-the-go.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a mini -muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar, mashed bananas, vegetable oil, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, add in the chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups using a tablespoon measure.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean, about 12-15 minutes. Cool in pan before serving.