Fall is just around the corner! It’s hard to believe that soon we’ll be trading in stone fruit for apples, and zucchini for winter squash. This is the time of year when it’s important to enjoy those precious last few moments of warm weather. It’s a good time to host a party.
This Mediterranean crostini is a great appetizer for casual get-togethers. Every bite is bursting with bold intense flavors such as feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. The hummus works as a base that holds the rest of the ingredients together. Serve this easy appetizer with your favorite wine and enjoy the final weeks of summer.
Yield: 30 to 40 crostini
Notes: All topping quantities can be adjusted according to taste.
- 1 baguette, sliced on a bias
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes soaked in olive oil (the kind sold in jars)
- 1 cup hummus (either store-bought or homemade)
- 3/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- Good quality feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven until crisp, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the sun-dried tomatoes on a paper towel to remove some of the excess oil. Slice into thin, julienned strips.
- Spread approximately 1/2 tablespoon of hummus onto one of the baguette slices. Top with a few of the sun-dried tomatoes, followed by 3 or 4 olive slices. Top with crumbled feta and chopped parsley.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients and serve.
Photo credit: Jennifer Farley