Strawberries are without a doubt one of my favorite summer fruits. I eat them constantly as a snack and I also love incorporating them into both sweet and savory recipes. Lately I cannot stop roasting them! Roasted strawberries simply burst with flavors and juices. They’re incredible on top of ice cream but I also love using them as the base for a healthy, creamy salad dressing.
I roast all berries exactly the same way: in a 400-degree-Fahrenheit oven, on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil to catch all of those wonderful juices. It takes about 12 to 16 minutes and I shake the pan every 4 minutes to help them roast evenly.
For best results, store the leftover dressing in the refrigerator and use within one week.
Arugula Salad with Roasted Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
Yields: 4 salads
- 6 ounces fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper
- 4 to 6 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup good quality feta cheese, crumbled
- Turn the oven to 400 F. Place approximately 1 cup of the strawberries onto a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Roast for 12 to 16 minutes, gently shaking the pan every 4 minutes so that the berries cook evenly. Allow to cool and then add the strawberries and pan juices to a blender. Add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth.
- Slice the remaining strawberries.
- Divide the arugula evenly onto 4 plates. Top each plate with 2 tablespoons of slivered almonds, 2 tablespoons of feta cheese and the sliced strawberries.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette on top and serve.
Photo credit: Jennifer Farley