Spring has arrived, bringing the promise of warmer days ahead. Sipping hot chocolate by the fireplace will soon be replaced with enjoying cool, refreshing drinks on the patio by the fire pit, which inspired me to make some fun stitched coasters you can use to support your chilled beverage of choice.
Things You’ll Need
- 1/4-inch twisted cotton cable cord
- Fabric glue
- Popsicle stick (to apply glue)
- Yarn, various colors
- Yarn needle
- Felt, 8-by-10 sheets, 2
1. Dab a pea-sized amount of fabric glue on the end of the cord.
2. Coil the rope and press it together until the glue adheres.
3. Continue rolling and gluing until your desired size coaster is attained. Dab glue every 1/2 inch or so as you roll the rope. In this example, the rope was coiled to 4 1/2 inches in diameter.
4. Trim the excess rope and secure the end with glue to avoid unraveling. Allow the glue to dry completely.
5. Select your yarn color and decide on a pattern.
6. Thread the yarn through the needle and sew your pattern through the coaster. Tie a knot on the back of the coaster after your pattern is complete, and trim the excess yarn.
Optional: Add tassels for visual interest and texture by double-threading the needle and stitching tassels around the perimeter of the coaster. Space them about 1 inch apart.
Tie a double-knot to secure each tassel in place.
Trim the tassels to make them even.
7. Use your coaster as a template to cut a round piece of felt to the same size. Glue the felt to the back of the coaster. Allow the glue to dry completely.
Quick and easy, with countless designs and colors to choose from, these fun homemade coasters will look festive on your patio table or will make a thoughtful hostess gift for your next event.