The Best Way to Get Rid of Pink Mold

Save

Mold is a worldwide problem. It grows in the humid corners of homes, in the dark places of seldom-opened areas and can pose potential health risks if not properly removed. Pink mold, while colorful, is just as potentially problematic as its brown and black cousins. Removing an outbreak is a snap if it is caught early. Removal can be accomplished with a few household items.

Prevent Mold Growth

  • Reduce humidity. Steam and running water make ideal breeding conditions for bacteria and mold. Controlling the level of humidity in a given area (usually the bathroom) is an important initial step to controlling an outbreak of any mold so that it may be removed. Turn the bathroom fan on--which is designed to pull moisture from the area-- or simply open the bathroom window to encourage drying.

Identify Pink Mold

  • Examine the growth. Mold is essentially a fungus that grows in damp, warm places. Some people are acutely sensitive to the presence of mold and will develop asthma, sneezing or upper respiratory infections. A large amount of mold will also alter the smell of a given area leaving a musty or sour odor in the air. Mold is tenacious and known for infesting deep into surfaces. If the outbreak is not caught early, the consequences could lead to entire rooms having to be torn down and resurfaced. Pink mold are usually species of Fusarium and not as dangerous to humans as some black and brown molds but should still be dealt with as quickly.

Kill Existing Pink Mold

  • Pour white vinegar on a washcloth and aggressively scrub the area infected with mold. Rinse the area where vinegar was applied with cold water to remove as much of the infected area as possible. In a small bowl, mix hydrogen peroxide with 3 oz. baking soda. Work the solution into a paste with a hard-bristled toothbrush. Use the toothbrush to scrub the peroxide and baking soda paste into the area that has been infected with pink mold, making sure to remove the entire remaining mold with this technique. Rinse the area with cold water and allow the tile or surface to dry completely over the course of 24 hours before subjecting the area to moisture again.

References

  • Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

You May Also Like

  • How to Get Rid of Red Mold

    Mold is a fungus that grows in damp and musty places. Mold can cause health issues, especially for those with respiratory problems...

  • How to Remove Mold From Clothing

    Mold grows on surfaces that are damp and warm. Wet clothes piled in a laundry basket and clothes stacked in drawers before...

  • Is Mold in My Shower Dangerous?

    Mold lurks in virtually all homes and is most commonly found in perpetually damp or humid areas. Showers are prime spots for...

  • Mold & Mildew Abatement

    Mold and mildew spores travel on air currents and can grow anywhere where there is moisture--including in your home. In fact, because...

Related Searches

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!