Mold spores are present in virtually every environment, both indoors and out. While simple and microscopic, mold is a fungus that is not only unwelcome for sanitary purposes, but because it is dangerous. Mold spores quickly take up residence in warm, moist environments, and many types of spores are quite toxic to humans. If you have been affected by the ingestion of mold, it's important to seek treatment.
How Mold is Ingested
Because mold spores are microscopic in size, they can easily be breathed in, or inadvertently ingested. Some spores can even be absorbed through the skin. Once inside the body, mold spores have the potential to become quite harmful, depending on the sensitivity of the infected individual, the overall health of the individual and the type of mold that they have been infected with.
How Mold Affects the Body
Once inside the body, mold can quickly attack different parts of the body, depending on how it has been absorbed. Spores that have been inhaled often cause respiratory issues, including asthma, sinus infections and other types of infections. Spores that have been ingested can wreak havoc on the digestive system, causing nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome.
Treating Mold Ingestion
Determining the problems ingested mold is causing will help your physician to plan an effective course of treatment. Respiratory problems often occur in individuals that are hypersensitive to mold. Treatment is usually provided in the form of allergy medications and nutrients that boost the immune system. Antifungal medications and other types of medications are used in the treatment of acute situations of mold hypersensitivity.
If your physician suspects that you have ingested toxic mold, nutrients will be provided by oral and intravenous routes. Bile binders, which prevent the reabsorption of toxic components in the intestinal tract, will also be given. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy may even be recommended for those individuals whose bodies need a boost to effectively metabolize and remove the mold toxins from tissue and cells.
Mold Poisoning Symptoms
Mold poisoning can happen to anyone. The mold that is dangerous to human health, also known as black mold or toxic mold,...
The Effects of Eating Mold on Food
Eating moldy food can cause allergic reactions and diseases. By the time mold is visible on the surface of food, thin threads...
Signs & Symptoms of Mold Ingestion
It’s not uncommon for people to accidentally ingest stale food that may be sprouting green or invisible bacterial spores. The symptoms of...
Signs & Symptoms of Ingesting Mold
Mold can become a health problem whenever you come into contact with it. Ingesting mold can cause problems in certain situations, sometimes...
Toddler Food Mold Ingestion Side Effects
Toddlers will put just about anything in their mouths, even moldy food. In the event this occurs, most likely the effects will...
How to Test a Person to See If He Has Mold Poisioning
Mold poisoning is caused by mycotoxins produced by toxic mold. These mycotoxins damage the body's myelin, the membrane that protects your body's...
How to Treat for Black Mold
Black mold grows in damp areas of homes and buildings. It can be found on foods, in bathroom corners, and even on...
What Happens if You Eat Mold Spores?
Chances are you've seen those dark-green colored spots invading old breads, cheeses and meats. As food ages, mold takes over. The results...
Symptoms of Mold Growing in the Body
Mold is a fungus that can get into your body and grow. In some people, mold causes an allergic reaction, while in...
Will Eating Moldy Bread Make You Sick?
Mold is a problem that frequently plagues many household foods. It is not uncommon to pull forgotten food from the refrigerator only...