There are many low-carb diets available, full of claims for quick weight loss. Planning menus ahead for a week can take decisions or temptation out of each meal. The Dr. Atkins diet is perhaps one of the most popular of the very low-carb diets, and the diet has been currently modified to include healthy carbs. A very low-carb diet is one that has less than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day.
There are benefits to be gained from a low-carb diet. Initially weight often comes off quickly for many people, giving them a good and positive start to seeing great results. When you eat a diet rich in protein, especially animal protein, it is very satisfying and hunger takes a long time to return. .
Breakfast is probably the most challenging meal to fix for an ongoing low-carb diet. Here are seven potential breakfast meals to keep you in line:
- 1/2-water and 1/2-berry juice, scrambled egg whites with spinach and cheese
- A slice of ham and of cheese, 1/2-cup of blue berries and 1/2-slice of whole grain toast with butter
- Poached eggs with slice of cheddar cheese, 3 strawberries, coffee with milk or cream
- Small salmon filet, 1/4-bagel with cream cheese, 1/2-peach, coffee or tea
- Scrambled eggs with ham, 1/2 of small cantaloupe, coffee or tea
- Omelet with onions, chicken and cheese, 1/2-cup blue berries, coffee or tea
- Scrambled egg whites with a slice of pepper jack cheese, 1/2-cup grapes, tea or coffee
Lunches are versatile, and you can plan ahead, especially important if you work. You can have a variety of low-fat protein and low-carb vegetables, such as cucumbers, celery, zucchini, green onions and mushrooms.
- One 6-ounce can of tuna with low-fat mayonnaise and sesame seeds, celery sticks and a 1/2-peach
- Turkey sandwich on 1 slice of whole grain bread with mustard and lettuce, sliced cucumbers, 1/2-cup of blue berries
- Salmon steak with lemon, lettuce salad with olive oil, 1/2-cup of green beans
- Chef salad with turkey, cheese, walnuts and black olives and romaine
- Spinach salad with chopped almonds, feta cheese, 1/2-cup of pineapple
- 2 hard boiled eggs, 1/2-grapefruit, sliced tomatoes
- 3 slices of roast beef, one slice of cheddar cheese, dill pickles, celery, black olives
Take some time to be creative at dinner and plan some interesting and delicious low-carb dinners. You can always add potatoes or rice for the rest of the family.
- 8-ounce steak, caesar salad, 1/2-cup of cooked broccoli, 1/2-cup fresh strawberries 2 Whole chicken breast, cabbage salad with blue cheese, 1 cup walnuts and strawberries with sour cream and sweetened with stevia.
- Pork chops with peppers and onions, cucumber salad in vinegar, black olives, 1/2-cup of cantaloupe
- Turkey breast roasted with havarti cheese, dill pickles, black olives, hot peppers, green salad with olive oil and vinegar dressing
- Hamburger patty with two strips of bacon and cheese, sliced tomatoes, onion slices and 1/2-peach for dessert
- Bratwurst with sauerkraut and hot mustard, cucumber salad, non-fat yogurt with 1/2-cup of strawberries and sweetened with stevia
- Loin lamb shops with rosemary and mushrooms, 1/2-cup of green beans and celery, 1 cup of grapes.