How to File an Amended Tax Return

Next Video:
How to File an Extension for Income Taxes....5

An amended tax return will need to be filed if there are changes in filing status, amount of total income or the number of deductions. Use form 1040X to file an amended tax return with help from a tax bookkeeper in this free video on filing taxes.

Part of the Video Series: Tax Forms & Deductions
Promoted By Zergnet


Video Transcript

If you have an error or something changes from the time that you file your taxes, typically you'll need to file an amended return. Now if you just happen to notice a mathematical error, the IRS will typically correct those and just send you an explanation on what it should have been. There are a number of items that if those items change, you will need to file an amended return. The items such as filing status, amount of total income, the number of deductions and if something with your dependents changes you'll need to file an amended return. To file an amended return you use form 1040X. Regardless of whether you originally filed 1040, 1040EZ or 1040A, you'll still use the 1040X for the amended return. Amended returns have to be submitted in paper, meaning there is not an option to electronically file an amended return. The 1040X will ask you for the original numbers that you submitted, it will ask you for the new numbers that you're changing it to and a reason for the change. You can typically file an amended return within three years of your original filing date. That assumes that you've paid all the taxes that are due. If you have not paid all of the taxes, then the limit is two years for filing an amended return.


Related Searches

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!