How to Deny Visitation

Next Video:
Who Pays Alimony?....5

If an individual doesn't have a court order, they can deny visitation for a good reason, but it's important to have documentation, such as a doctor's note. Find out what constitutes a legitimate reason for denying visitations with help from a certified civil mediator in this free video on divorce and visitation.

Part of the Video Series: Divorce Advice
Promoted By Zergnet


Video Transcript

You have children, and the other parent is causing you problems and you want to deny visitation, but you don't know how to go about doing that. Hello, I'm Robert Todd, and I'm here to answer the question how to deny visitation. Well first of all, if you don't have a court order you can deny visitation for a good reason, but ultimately you want to be sure that if there is going to be a judicial decree down the road that you don't deny visitation for just some run of the mill explanation. For example, if your child is sick and they really can't visit the other parent if you can document that with a doctor's note it would be highly advisable. If there's something of a recurring nature; for example, the other parent always shows up intoxicated and you don't want the child to get in a motor vehicle with the intoxicated parent that's something you want to document as well, but that's something you probably want to address with a court sooner rather than later. The key to what constitutes a sufficient reason to deny visitation is you want to make sure that a court of law would think that was a legitimate good reason. The fact that you're not comfortable, or the child has a stomachache, or has a cold, or something of that nature is probably not going to fly with a court. In general, you want to have some type of written agreement. You want to get this in front of the court as soon as possible, and you want to make sure that you're not just denying visitation for little or no reason, and certainly, failure to pay child support is not a reason to deny visitation. If you have a question seek the services of a family law attorney to assist you. I'm Robert Todd, and thank you for watching.


Related Searches

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!