Causes of Facial Hair Loss in Puppies

Save
Next Video:
Changing Heartworm Pills....5

Facial hair loss in puppies can be caused by mange, whether it be demodectic mange or sarcoptic mange, or allergies, which can be food, plastic or environmental allergies. Understand what can cause facial hair loss in puppies with helpful information from an experienced veterinarian in this free video on pet health.

Part of the Video Series: Canine & Feline Diseases
Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

Video Transcript

Let's talk about what causes facial hair loss in puppies. The most common thing that we see from a puppy that will cause facial hair loss is going to be mange. There are two type of mange, demodectic mange which basically causes hair loss, not a lot of itchiness, little bit of red and crustiness, that's about it. We also see sarcoptic mange which is highly transmissible from pound puppies and things like that that will cause severe itchiness of the face and they'll rub and rub and rub. So all the irritation that mange and both of these mange are mites, that's what mange is, little tiny mites that live in the skin. So both of these can cause hair loss and sometimes rubbing of the face and hair can be removed that way. Other types of things that can cause facial hair loss are allergies, both topical and inhaled allergies. We also see food allergies that can cause hair loss as well. Interestingly enough, plastic allergies, plastic bowls can be a culprit in causing irritation to the face and the front part of that nose and when there is an irritation, hair follicles release and you will see that hair loss from that. Food that they eat if it has a protein in it like let's say a puppy is allergic to beef protein, they can lose hair that way as well. And various other allergies. Contact like the plastic we talked about, or rubbing their face up against things that could be, like bedding that is washed in certain detergents can cause topical allergies, so there are many, many different things that can cause facial hair loss in puppies. Just check with your veterinary clinic especially if mange is suspected because that can if left untreated be more difficult to treat as it goes on.

Featured

Related Searches

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!