What Kind of Education Does a Cardiologist Need?

Next Video:
What Is Nuclear Cardiology?....5

A cardiologist needs to go to college, medical school for four years, and finally go through a residency, which includes an internship. Find out how to specialize in cardiology and internal medicine with information from a cardiologist in this free video on cardiology and the heart.

Part of the Video Series: Cardiology Information
Promoted By Zergnet

Video Transcript

Hi, my name is Eric Frischhertz. I'm a Cardiologist with Capital Cardiovascular Specialist in Austin, Texas. I'm here to answer the question, "What kind of education does a Cardiologist need?" Cardiologist first needs a college and then has to go to medical school for four years. After four years of medical school, you then become what's called a resident which is divided into an internship which is the first year after residency which all doctors have to do to become licensed to practice Medicine anywhere in the United States. Once you've completed your internship, generally you do two more years of Internal Medicine residency which is basically a Medicine for adults, similar to what Pediatricians are for children. You then sub-specialize in Internal Medicine in Cardiovascular disease which is another three year fellowship after the Internal Medicine residency and depending on the program, this three-year program can range anywhere from three to five years and there's also sub-specialties of Cardiology beyond that.


Related Searches

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!