How to Tell if Your Dog Has Eaten Rat Poison

Save
Next Video:
Choosing Clippers & a Muzzle for Dog First Aid Kits....5

Learn how to tell if your dog has eaten rat poison and get tips on what to do in this free emergency pet health care video.

Part of the Video Series: Emergency Dog Health Care
Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

Video Transcript

Hi I'm Dr. Adrienne Mulligan of Camp Verde Veterinary Clinic in Arizona and I'm here today to talk to you about rat poison. Rat poison is the number one poison that people purposely put out to kill vermin and sometimes they purposely put out to kill annoying neighborhood dogs and that is a really really sad situation. The thing about rat poison is it comes in many shapes and sizes usually it is blueish these are blocks but there are blue grains that come in a box that shake and they taste very good so rats would eat them and mice would eat them. The problem is it makes dogs eat them and almost every single case that I ever had of rat poisoning the owner has sworn to me that the rat poison was no where or the dog could get to it and so believe me no matter where you put rat poison it is not safe in your house, in your garage, in your yard your dog will find it. It will not act immediately. It will have no symptoms right in the begin. If you see your dog eat some then this is a prime time to dump so hydrogen peroxide a teaspoon or two down his throat and get him to throw it up and if he throws up blueish greenish stuff then you know you got him to get rid of some of it. The good news is there is antidote which is vitamin K but your veterinarian has to administer this. Now rat poison the thing you need to know is it may not cause any symptoms if you don't see your dog eat it or you don't come upon your rat poison pile disappear when you think that it shouldn't be all gone like that then if you don't know if your dog has eaten it the symptoms may not show up for a week, or two weeks, or three weeks and the symptoms are bleeding and inability to plot. So this could show up with blood in the urine, blood in the stool, a bloody nose, blood around teeth, blood in anyplace of a cut that doesn't quit bleeding and sometimes just bruising. You might notice just bruising which looks just like a bruise on a human so if you see these things then you need to get your dog to the veterinarian immediately and ask if it could possibly be rat poison and there is antidote and so you could get your pet treated for this but it has to be caught early enough. Rat poison can come in lots of types and boxes and you want to kind of avoid those kind of things. There are other types of rat poison that poison differently but they are not as come but all rat poison are pretty dangerous. So glue traps this is a glue trap this is not a poison it traps rats in a different way. These are maybe a safer alternative if you are having a pest problem.

Featured

Related Searches

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!