How to Change the Payee for Disability Insurance

Next Video:
How to Get Dyslexia Disability Insurance....5

Changing the payee for disability insurance isn't difficult, but it does require you to follow a very particular process. Change the payee for disability insurance with help from a top insurance attorney in this free video clip.

Part of the Video Series: Disability Insurance & More
Promoted By Zergnet


Video Transcript

I'm Frank Darras, America's top insurance attorney. And today, we're going to talk about changing the payee for your social security disability insurance. A representative payee for social security disability insurance, is someone who manages the money for the disabled individual, if that person's deemed unable to do so. This can occur in a number of different settings. If the disabled person's a minor, declared legally incompetent, or physically or mentally incapable of managing his or her own social security disability income. If you suspect your payee of misusing your flexibility funds, the social security administration should be notified right away. They're going to conduct an in-depth investigation, gather facts and evidence and make an informed decision. If they find misuse, they're going to move the payee from your account and attempt to recover the funds. Other reasons for changing a payee are, the relocation of one or any of the other designated parties involved, because of personality conflicts or life changes. The first step's, easy, write a letter to Social Security Administration, requesting a change. Be sure to provide evidence to support that a more appropriate payee is currently available. Ask your replacement payee to apply to be a payee, by calling the Social Security Administration office and selecting an SSA-two request to be selected as payee form. That form, folks, is available online at www.SSA.Gov/online/SSA-11.PDF. I know that was a mouthful, but if you go to, you'll find all you need. Your payee will need to provide the following information, their address, checking account number, social security number, information for the direct deposit, the disability type, and the name and address of your current treating or certifying physician. Along with the original documents, explaining the relationship of the payee to you. And the plan of how your new payee and yourself will be communicating about your financial needs. The Social Security Administration requires the payee to complete the application in a face-to-face interview. There are some exemptions. When picking your replacement, be aware of the conditions on who can be a payee. People who themselves have received benefits through a payee, or have been convicted of violating the Social Security Act, cannot be payees. Make copies as always and keep nay letters and applications sent to the Social Security Administration, in a safe place. Allow time to complete the process, call and follow up on the letter. If you don't hear anything for a couple of weeks to a month, follow up again. Once the change has been approved, the benefits will be deposited in your payee's checking account, on the day of the next benefit check. I'm Frank Darras, founding partner of Darras Law, Ontario, California.


Related Searches

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!