How to Check for Gas Leaks In a Home

Save

You need a lot more than just your nose to check for gas leaks in a home. Find out how to properly check for gas leaks in a home with help from a certified firefighter in this free video clip.

Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

Video Transcript

Hi I'm Gabriel Williams, I'm a certified firefighter in the state of Illinois. Today we are going to talk about how to check for gas leaks in your home. Now there's some information you need to know about gas. First of all natural gas is an odorless, colorless gas. So typically you wouldn't smell it. However, there's an additive in it called mercaptan that smells similar to rotten eggs or rotten cabbage is what a lot of people say. If you have that smell in your home you want to open some windows or get out of the home get some fresh air, vent the areas as much as possible. As far as checking for those leaks in the pipes behind your stove or in pipe fittings if you have a gas hot water heater, a gas dryer, things like that. If you suspect there's a leak from those pipes because you are getting that odor what you can do is take a small glass with a little bit of water in it. Take some common dish soap or laundry detergent, mix a little in with the water. Take any type of brush, an old paint brush or a brush like this. Mix that up until you get some bubbles. And then rub that on the pipe near the fitting that you think is leaking. What that will do is that will create bubbles if there is an actual leak. In which case you can then call a professional to come and fix it. Other gases that could be common in your home could be carbon monoxide poisoning. That can come from things like your dryer, a wood burning stove, a chimney. If you have a fireplace it's not venting properly. And that is a very dangerous gas as well. It's also colorless and odorless so you will not smell carbon monoxide in your house. That's why it's important to have a carbon monoxide detector. If that detector goes off get out of your home. Some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be nausea, dizziness, weakness, vomiting. Things like that. Confusion, if you are experiencing those symptoms get out of your home to fresh air and call 911. The fire department will come and they'll check your home for carbon monoxide or other gases. It's better safe then sorry.. The best way to survive these things is early detection so make sure you have good carbon monoxide detectors. My name is Gabriel Williams and we've been talking about how to check for gas leaks in your home.

Featured

Related Searches

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!