According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Household Products Database, Lysol disinfectant spray may cause mild irritation of the skin with repeated or prolonged exposure. Its active ingredients have not been found to cause cancer or other serious health problems when the product is used as directed. As with any chemical cleaning product, follow a few simple safety precautions.
Use Lysol in a Well Ventilated Area
The primary active ingredient in Lysol disinfectant spray is ethanol -- denatured alcohol -- and you'll want to avoid directly inhaling droplets of the spray or breathing large lungfuls of it at a time. If you begin to feel dizzy using Lysol spray in an enclosed space, step out and get some fresh air.
Avoid Spraying Lysol on Skin, Eyes or Clothing
Household cleaning products aren't intended to be applied directly to the human body, and Lysol is no exception. If you accidentally do get Lysol disinfectant spray in your eyes, remove contacts and flush eyes with cool water for 15 minutes; wash exposed skin with soap and water. This should reduce the chances of irritation. If irritation should result and persists longer than fifteen minutes, seek medical help.
Do Not Ingest Lysol Disinfectant Spray
If you should accidentally ingest a small quantity of Lysol disinfectant spray, rinse your mouth thoroughly with plain water and drink a glass of water to dilute whatever you've ingested. The chances are that you will experience no further ill effects; if symptoms occur and continue, seek medical attention. The primary active ingredient, ethanol, has been deliberately ingested in other forms in much greater quantities than you are likely to ingest during cleaning.
Other Safety Considerations
As with any aerosol product, never puncture a Lysol disinfectant spray can or expose the can or its contents to open flame or high heat. Keep Lysol disinfectant spray and all other household cleaning products out of reach of children. Wipe away any residue that could come into contact with children or pets. To avoid even mild skin irritation, always wear rubber gloves when using Lysol or any other cleaning product.
People who are allergic to ethanol or suffer from multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome should avoid contact with Lysol Disinfectant Spray. If you experience allergic symptoms such as sneezing and coughing, hives, or persistent skin irritation, discontinue use.