Household Cleaning Supplies That Make You Sick

Save

Many of the products that you use to clean your house can make you sick. The harsh chemicals that remove stains, kill bacteria and leave your home surfaces shining are often harmful if you use them incorrectly or use them at all. It is important to read the labels on all of your household cleaning products and follow the instructions carefully. If you feel sick while using cleaning products, contact your poison control center immediately.

Chlorine Bleach

  • Chlorine bleach is one of the most common and potentially hazardous household cleaning products. The liquid chlorine bleach you use in your home can cause skin irritation on contact. If you ingest enough, it will cause nausea and vomiting. The fumes emitted by this cleaning product can corrode your lungs and irritate your eyes, nose and throat.

    When you store and use chlorine bleach in your home, you must be careful not to mix it with other cleaning products. If they contain ammonia, you can create a deadly gas or an explosive combination of chemicals. To be safe, only mix chlorine bleach with water.

Ammonia

  • Ammonia is in household cleaning supplies like window cleaner and floor wax. Low levels of ammonia, like those found in these products, can cause respiratory issues like coughing and trouble breathing. It can also cause headache, fever, elevated heart rate, nausea and vomiting. If ammonia encounters your skin, it can irritate and burn. If your eyes are exposed to ammonia, it will irritate them and possibly cause blindness.

Drain Cleaner

  • Drain cleaner is a common household cleaning product you use to unclog or clean drains. Many drain cleaners contain harmful chemicals, some of which are neurotoxins. If your eyes come into contact with these drain cleaners, they will cause irritation and possibly blindness, which may be irreversible. The vapors of these drain cleaners will burn your lungs if you breathe them in. Ingestion of drain cleaner can cause vomiting, diarrhea and death up to one month after ingestion.

Furniture Polish

  • Some furniture polishes contain hydrocarbons that can make you sick. Ingesting these products may cause burning of the mouth, lips, eyes and esophagus. It can also cause low blood pressure, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. Inhalation of these products may make it difficult for you to breathe.

References

  • Photo Credit Annabelle Breakey/Photodisc/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

You May Also Like

  • Side Effects of Inhaling Bleach

    Bleach is a popular household cleaner, used in kitchens, bathroom, laundry rooms and other areas of the home. Typically made of a...

  • Can You Get Sick From Latex Paint Fumes?

    The fumes from most latex paints are generally regarded as safe, especially compared with older oil-based paint containing lead. The main area...

  • Can House Mold Make You Sick?

    Though molds are common in most buildings and houses, there is at least one kind of mold that you need to watch...

  • Can a Self-Cleaning Oven Make a Person Sick?

    Self-cleaning ovens are helpful and generally safe appliances that allow you to skip the chemicals and elbow grease since they clean themselves....

  • How to Clean Your Home Coffee Maker

    Ever woke up and went to make coffee but the sight of your coffee maker makes you not want coffee! In this...

  • How to Clean House After Flu

    If you've been sick with a communicable illness, it is very important to clean your living space properly after you are well...

  • Clorox Precautions

    Versatile and inexpensive, Clorox bleach can help keep your home clean, deodorized and disinfected. However, Clorox contains powerful chemicals that can damage...

  • Things That Make Dogs Sick

    Like all living things, dogs are susceptible to getting sick. There are certain things that can make dogs sick that are difficult...

Related Searches

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!