What Are the Requirements for Getting a Cage Code?


Any company that works for the government must have a CAGE code (Commercial and Government Entity) for each of its locations. This five-digit identifier is used in many automated government systems. Subcontractors to a prime government contractor will also probably need to obtain a CAGE code.

CCR Registration

Obtaining a CAGE code was once a stand-alone registration process, but it's now part of the Central Contractor Registration (CCR). Companies with a CAGE code must provide it when completing CCR registration. Companies that need a CAGE code will receive one when CCR registration has been finalized.

DUNS Number

The credit reporting company Dun & Bradstreet has developed a system of assigning company identifiers called DUNS (Data Universal Numbering System) numbers to each physical location of a company. A DUNS number is needed to receive federal grant money, and for completing the CCR registration and obtaining a CAGE code. A company's customers and suppliers can pull a credit report by using the company's DUNS number.


Also known as a Federal Tax ID, the FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number) is provided to companies by the IRS. It's a requirement to complete a CCR registration and obtain a CAGE code, and new businesses need it to open bank accounts, file tax returns and apply for various business licenses.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

Are You Really Getting A Deal From Discount Stores?

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!