Forms of Identification for Employment


Federal laws of the United States require that employers ask all new employees to complete Form I-9. This form is used to verify that an individual is authorized to work in the United States. An employer who fails to verify an employee's identification and work authorization can face criminal prosecution and/or fines. When an individual is hired to work for a company in the U.S., proof of identification and authorization to work in the country can be verified through several documents.

The identity of an employee must be verified by the employer at the time employment begins.
(Jupiterimages/Stockbyte/Getty Images)

Typically when an employee or employer fills out an I-9 for a new hire, at least two forms of identification must be produced by the employee for the employer to verify and accurately identify the employee's identification and authorization to work in the U.S. The two forms of identification must include one form of ID suitable to establish identity along with one form of ID to establish employment authorization. For individuals over the age of 18, identity can be established through the use of a voter registration card; U.S. military card or draft record; or a photo identification card such as a school ID; driver's license or federal, state or local government-issued ID card. Individuals under the age of 18 can establish identity through the use of school or doctor's records.

A driver's license or military card can suffice to establish employee identity.
stuart atton/iStock/Getty Images

A new employee is required to establish proof of authorization to work in the United States regardless of whether the individual's country of birth was the U.S. The most common form of verification for U.S. employment authorization is a Social Security card that includes the individual's Social Security account number and does not indicate anywhere on the face of the card that the issuance of the card does not authorize employment. Citizens may also provide a Form FS-545 certifying birth abroad, a Form DS-1350 certification of birth report, a certified birth certificate or Native American tribal documents in addition to a U.S. Citizen ID card or Resident Citizen ID card. A non-citizen should be able to provide employment authorization forms issued by the Department of Homeland Security.

A U.S. birth certificate or report of birth abroad are acceptable as proof of work authorization.
BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images

Instead of supplying one document to verify identity and another for work authorization, an individual may submit a document that establishes both. These alternative documents include a U.S. passport or passport card; a permanent resident card or alien registration receipt card (Form I-551); a foreign passport with an I-551 stamp, Form I-94 or Form I-94A; or employment authorization documents displaying a photo ID (Form I-766).

A foreign passport with an I-551 stamp or Form I-94A may be acceptable.
Brand X Pictures/Stockbyte/Getty Images

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


Related Searches

Check It Out

3 Day-to-Night Outfits for the Work Week

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!