In Pennsylvania, registered nurses must complete 30 hours of continuing education during each two-year license renewal period. There are many routes to meet the continuing-education requirements; one is to take refresher courses, or professional development, through schools of nursing at Pennsylvania colleges or universities. Accredited courses at these schools offer exposure to the latest in nursing education.
Drexel University of Philadelphia provides continuing nursing education programs, including workshops and seminars. As of 2014, program offerings included a Certificate in Nursing Education and an Attachment-Based Family Therapy workshop targeting adolescent suicide and depression.
Eastern University of Saint Davids offers an RN Refresher Program in partnership with Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital, an acute care hospital, for registered nurses who were out of clinical practice for some time and want to return to practice. The program is six weeks long and two days per week, offering nurses the opportunity to work with medical-surgical clients with a wide array of chronic and acute illnesses.
Marywood University of Scranton provides professional continuing education for the Pennsylvania State Nurses Association. Nursing professionals should contact the school to be added to its mailing list of upcoming courses. Current offerings, as of 2014, included continuing education on nursing home administration and the clinical use of Internet, websites and media.
Pennsylvania State University
Pennsylvania State University at University Park offers outreach and continuing education programs for nurses, including classes in the nursing simulation lab. In addition, there are online continuing education courses through the Penn State World Campus, and the campus at Altoona also offers continuing education courses. The campus at Erie offers a summer professional development series for school nurses, as does the campus at Harrisburg, but with a focus on offering graduate credit. Pennsylvania State University at Schuylkill Haven offers professional development courses and a certificate program in nurse management, in addition to a bachelor's degree for registered nurses.
University of Pennsylvania
The University of Pennsylvania of Philadelphia provides continuing nursing education designed to build on the practitioner's educational and experiential nursing foundation. The program links theory, knowledge and research to enhance nursing practice. Courses offered in 2014 included courses on pharmacology and pharmacotherapeutics for advanced nursing and evidence-based care for chronically ill older adults.
University at Pittsburgh
The University at Pittsburgh offers a variety of live, webinar and online continuing education courses for nurses. One of the live sessions, offered in 2014, is a continuing education nurses weekend session that includes attending a performance with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. In addition, the university offers an ELITE faculty development program for nursing faculty to enhance their skills and abilities with simulated learning, informatics and telehealth. The university also offers substance abuse education for nurses with training in screening, short interventions and treatment referral.
Villanova University of Villanova provides continuing education courses at Driscoll Hall, home of the College of Nursing. The college provides state-of-the-art laboratories and facilities, offering courses, as of 2014, such as Coordinating Care in a Fragmented System.
The Conemaugh Health System of Johnstown, a physician-led group of hospitals, also offers continuing education through the Conemaugh Learning Institute, with courses including Pediatric Advanced Life Support, Advanced Cardio Life Support and Basic Trauma Nurse courses. Geisinger Health Systems also offers continuing professional development courses, such as courses in adult trauma or pulmonary medicine.
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: The Professional Nursing Law
- American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Drexel University: College of Nursing and Health Professions, Division of Continuing Nursing Education
- Eastern University: RN Refresher Program
- Pennsylvania State Nurses Association
- Marywood University: Professional Continuing Education
- Pennsylvania State University at University Park: Outreach and Continuing Education
- Pennsylvania State University at Erie: Community and Workforce Programs, Professional Development
- Pennsylvania State University at Harrisburg: Penn State for Adult Students, Graduate Credit Opportunities for School Nurses, Health Educators, and Counselors
- Pennsylvania State University at Schuylkill: Professional Development
- Photo Credit Jochen Sands/Photodisc/Getty Images
- University of Pennsylvania: Nursing Science, Center for Professional Development
- University of Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh: Continuing Nursing Education
- Villanova University: College of Nursing, Continuing Education
- Conemaugh Health System: Conemaugh Learning Institute, Department of Continuing Education
- Geisinger Health Systems: Center for Continuing Professional Development
How to Get a CDL Refresher Course
Trucking jobs are in high demand, however, it is a career where your skill set must be up to the moment current....
Cosmetology Refresher Courses
Refresher courses in cosmetology allow professionals to go back to school to refresh their understanding of the basics, learn updated techniques and...
IV Certification Training Programs
Intravenous Therapy (IV) certification programs are provided to practicing nurses who wish to update their skills through refresher courses approved by professional...