Symptoms a Cat Has Eaten a Lily

Cats who eat lillies are in for a bad surprise.
Cats who eat lillies are in for a bad surprise. (Image: cat image by matko from

Though cats are often fussy eaters, they will eat plants, including lilies. However cats, unlike other animals, are particularly sensitive to being poisoned by the lily family (genus Lilium). The most dangerous are the stargazer lily (Lilium orientalise), Easter lily (Lilium Longiflorum), tiger lily (Lilium tigrinum), day lilies (Hermerocalis), Asiatic lilies, Japanese show lily (Lilium lancifolium) and Rubrum lily (Lilium specisoum rubrum). All lilies and all parts of lilies including the pollen should be considered extremely toxic , and your cat will show symptoms if he has eaten one. You should seek veterinarian treatment immediately as the death rate is high.

Vomiting and Anorexia

Your cat may show signs of poisoning within hours of ingestion of the lily. Cats present with vomiting and anorexia (or loss of appetite). The vomiting may appear to improve but will restart up to three days later as the toxins damage the kidneys.

Lilies are beautiful but lethal to cats
Lilies are beautiful but lethal to cats (Image: lily image by Maciej Syrek from

Inability to Urinate

Your cat may show signs of having problems with passing urine, she may pass only small amounts of urine or she may not be able to pass any urine at all. Though your cat may not be passing much urine, she will often drink excessive amounts of water due to acute renal failure. If your cat survives, she may be left with chronic renal failure.

Other Symptoms

Your cats may appear lethargic and depressed with no interest in playing. He may also develop seizures and have signs of paralysis. Some cats will have swollen paws and a swollen face.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How to Make an Elevated Dog Feeder

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!