Can You Still Receive Financial Aid After Being Dismissed From a Four Year University?


Being dismissed from college can temporarily put a halt to your education. When you resume your studies, your financial aid standing depends on how long it has been and whether you return to the same school or enroll somewhere else. Your financial aid administrator can help you understand the specifics of your situation.

File an Appeal

When you would like to continue your studies at the same school that dismissed you, appeal the dismissal. In some cases, you can appeal right away, whereas other schools have a waiting period, usually about a year. When you appeal, include a description of the circumstances that led to your dismissal and some ways in which you will ensure that it does not happen again. In most cases, your financial aid eligibility will be reinstated after your appeal is granted. However, in some cases, you might have to raise your grade point average above a certain level before you are eligible for financial aid.


If you choose to transfer to a new college instead of returning to the one that dismissed you, you should be eligible to receive financial aid right away. However, depending on the college's policy on transferring your previous transcript, you might need to have a stellar academic semester to keep yourself from being dismissed again. Ask your financial aid administrator or registrar at the new college what grades you need in order to avoid dismissal.

Federal Policies

The federal government has specific requirements for students to be eligible to receive financial aid from the government. One criteria is that you must not currently owe a repayment on a grant to the federal government. This could occur if you withdrew from classes at your previous university. Contact the business office to ensure that your account is balanced after you are dismissed from the university. If you need to, repay grants to restore your federal aid eligibility.


After being dismissed, one option is to take classes at a low-cost community college to boost your grade point average and make progress toward your degree. When you are confident that you will be able to succeed in a four-year university again, apply as a transfer student. Your academic transcript should be good enough to qualify for financial aid, assuming that your family still has financial need.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


Related Searches

Check It Out

4 Credit Myths That Are Absolutely False

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!