Can You Collect Minnesota Unemployment If You Live in Another State?

You do not have to live in Minnesota to collect unemployment.
You do not have to live in Minnesota to collect unemployment. (Image: Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images)

All states provide unemployment insurance compensation to qualified individuals that have lost their jobs and are actively seeking new employment. However, the regulations governing these benefits differ by state. Most states, including Minnesota, will allow you to collect unemployment insurance benefits even if you are currently residing in a different state.

Minnesota Unemployment Regulations

In order to collect unemployment insurance benefits in Minnesota, you must have lost your job for some reason other than gross misconduct. If you left your job willingly, you must have a suitable reason for leaving, such as harassment or abuse. Your job must have been located in Minnesota, and your previous wages must meet a minimum requirement. You must also be willing and able to accept another job, and you should be diligently searching for a new job while receiving unemployment compensation.

Residence Requirements

Individuals that live near the Minnesota state line often work within the state of Minnesota. In addition, people that lose their jobs in Minnesota may move to another state in search of work. If you worked in Minnesota and lost your job, you can collect unemployment benefits from the state regardless of where you currently live, as long as you meet all of the necessary qualifications.

Minnesota Benefits

Minnesota will provide unemployment compensation for up to 26 weeks to qualified applicants. If you are approved to receive unemployment benefits, your weekly compensation will be equal to approximately half of your previous weekly wage. However, as of 2011, you cannot receive more than $578 per week. While receiving benefits, you will need to file weekly claims and report any income you have earned.


As of 2011, Minnesota does not offer a state extension past the initial 26-week period of compensation. However, you can apply for a federal extension of benefits if you meet the necessary requirements. Minnesota will automatically consider you for Federal-State Extended Benefits when you are close to the end of your regular state benefits or a federal extension. However, if you accept Federal-State Extended Benefits, you will have to meet additional work search requirements.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


Related Searches

Check It Out

4 Credit Myths That Are Absolutely False

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!