The Effects of Inhaling Moth Balls

Save

Moth balls contain a highly toxic substance called naphthalene. Although the FDA has determined moth balls to be safe for general use, the inhalation of a moth ball or its fumes can cause serious health problems. The effects of naphthalene poisoning are particularly severe in infants and young children. If you or someone you know has inhaled a moth ball, visit your doctor or call poison control immediately.

Headahce

  • After being exposed to naphthalene, be alert for the sudden onset of a headache. This can indicate poisoning and should not be taken lightly.

Nausea and Vomiting

  • An upset stomach and vomiting can both be symptoms of moth ball inhalation. If the nausea does not pass or the vomiting persists, seek medical attention. If the person that inhaled the moth ball is young, take them to the doctor at the first sign of gastrointestinal distress.

Burning Eyes

  • When handling moth balls, your eyes may start to burn and itch from their chemical fumes. Inhalation of a moth ball or its fumes can exacerbate these symptoms. Acute exposure can even lead to temporary blindness or cataracts.

Breathing Trouble

  • Coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath are all common side effects of moth ball inhalation. Seek medical assistance to ensure that regular breathing is re-established.

Diarrhea

  • Diarrhea can indicate naphthalene poisoning. Do not ignore this symptom in young children, because it can lead to severe dehydration.

Anemia

  • Over time, long-term exposure to naphthalene can lead to an anemia. Symptoms include weakness, dizziness, fatigue and fainting. If you or someone you know has been regularly inhaling moth balls or their fumes, take them to the doctor immediately. Be sure to alert your physician of any symptoms of anemia.

Confusion

Convulsions

  • Moth ball inhalation can lead to convulsions, seizures or limpness. If any of these symptoms occur, seek medical assistance right away.

Coma

  • Acute exposure to naphthalene can cause a coma. If someone has inhaled multiple moth balls and becomes unresponsive, call 911 immediately.

Related Searches

References

Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

You May Also Like

  • Ammonia & Side Effects

    Ammonia is a chemical compound that is primarily used as a strong cleaning agent in many cleaning products. At standard temperature and...

  • Why Do Moth Balls Smell?

    Mothballs are a solid pesticide that keeps moths from laying their eggs in your clothing. They are produced with a noxious chemical...

  • Mothballs as a Cat Repellent

    You can't teach cats to respect humans' personal property, but electronic deterrents and some plants and herbs can keep them away from...

  • How to Identify Signs of Mothball Poisoning

    Mothballs are a pesticide and their ingredients can be harmful to humans and pets. If mothballs are ingested or inhaled, there is...

  • Negative Effects of Moth Balls

    Mothballs are used to prevent insects from damaging stored clothing. Chemical mothballs are made from either naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene. Both are toxic,...

Related Searches

Check It Out

This Is the Beauty Routine of a Yelp Sales Manager

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!