What Documents Can I Use to Prove My Residency for Unclaimed Property?


Depending on where you live, your local or state government may have an "unclaimed property" division where you can claim abandoned or lost property. Generally, unclaimed property includes bank accounts, wages, stocks and bonds. To claim property, you must provide documented proof of your residency in the city or county of your claim. Even if you moved, you will need to show proof of your past residency.

Drivers License, Birth Certificate and Vehicle Registration

  • You can present your state driver's license and vehicle registration to officials to prove your residency. Both documents must include the address to be a valid form of proof. If your driver's license doesn't have the required address to secure the claim, you can only use it as a means of identification. You can use your child's birth certificate as proof if you lived at the address you are proving residency for at the time of his birth. Your own birth certificate will not suffice for both identification and proof of residency.

Bank Statement

  • You can submit current or old bank statements to prove your residency, as they include your name and address. Use bank statements of personal accounts, not business accounts, since it needs to show your place of residence, not your place of employment or ownership. You can also open a business bank account in a state other than where you live.

Tax Documents

  • If you are employed or previously employed in the place of your claim, you can use your W-2 wage statement to prove your address information. Your income tax form is also acceptable, as is any tax bill from the city or county where you reside. Each of these documents will list your name and current address.

Other Forms of Proof

  • Numerous other forms of proof exist. For example, you can present a utility bill that lists your name and address in the city or county of your claim, or the title to your car. A marriage certificate, medical bill, school transcripts, a deed or a will also suffice. Other acceptable documents include military records, church records and pay stubs from your employer.


  • Photo Credit Creatas/Creatas/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Read Article

Are You Really Getting A Deal From Discount Stores?

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!