Foley artists create, or recreate, sounds for movies, television shows and video games. While shooting, the microphones are usually centered on the actors' voices, so everyday things like footsteps, keys jingling, or the rustling of clothes are either not picked up or don't sound quite right. Using a wide array of props, foley artists work in sound studios to create all of the missing sounds so that the film feels authentic. According to the website Indeed, the national average salary for foley artists is $81,000, as of 2014.
Salary Varies by Industry and Location
The location and the industry affect the foley artist's average salary. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2011, union foley artists for films averaged $2000 per week, $340 per day, or $42 per hour. The average in the video game industry for sound designers was $68,000 in 2011, according to the BLS. According to Indeed, the average annual salary in Los Angeles, as of 2014, was $88,000. In Orlando, Florida, the average was $73,000; in Dallas, Texas, $84,000; in Chicago, $98,000; and in New York City, $111,000.
Apprentice in Cities with Film Industry
Most of the foley jobs are in cities with large film or video industries, such as New York and L.A. Though courses in sound technology are helpful, most foley artists obtain their training by helping a working foley artist, according to the BLS.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: You're a What? Foley Artist
- Indeed: Foley Artist Salary
- Indeed: Foley Artist Salary: Los Angeles, CA
- Indeed: Foley Artist Salary: New York, NY
- Indeed: Foley Artist Salary: Chicago, IL
- Indeed: Foley Artist Salary: Dallas, Texas
- Indeed: Foley Artist Salary: Orlando, Florida
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: From Script to Screen: Careers in Film Production
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: Work for Play: Careers in Video Game Development
- Photo Credit JPphoto1992/iStock/Getty Images
Sound Mixer Job Description
Sound mixers, also known as sound engineers or sound technicians, have access to a wide variety of sound mixing jobs, making your...
The Average Salary of a Music Engineer
Working with live and recorded sound can be a rewarding career, although salaries depend on several variables, including location, range of responsibilities...
How to Become a Foley Artist
In the film and television industry, the microphones used to record dialogue often don’t pick up background noises that could be integral...
How to Become a Visual Effects Artist
As the tastes that govern the entertainment industry changes, so do the growing needs for a talent pool to meet the demands...
- Salary Requirements for Film Production