Not everyone has the luxury of working set hours of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Many jobs -- particularly those in lower wage sectors -- offer less predictable hours. If your job application states that the position has a "variable shift," you can expect your schedule to change.
Defining Variable Shift
In the academic journal "Developmental Psychology," researchers JoAnn Hsueh of MDRC, a nonprofit research organization, and Hirokazu Yoshikawa of Harvard University, define a variable shift as "work hours that are irregular, shift periodically from day to night or evening, occur on varying days, or vary from week to week." According to Hsueh and Yoshikawa some studies have found variable shifts to have negative effects on families however their study did not find any detrimental effects. The researchers noted that these kinds of shifts are typical of jobs in the service industry, sales positions, domestic positions and child-care jobs. These industries operate outside of typical business hours and may have variable staffing needs. Some people can benefit from working nonstandard hours, however. For instance some federal employees are paid differential for working between the hours of 3 p.m. and 8 a.m.
- Developmental Psychology: Working Nonstandard Schedules and Variable Shifts in Low-Income Families: Associations With Parental Psychological Well-Being, Family Functioning, and Child Well-Being
- United States Office of Personnel Management: Fact Sheet: Night Shift Differential for Federal Wage System Employees
- Photo Credit i_frontier/iStock/Getty Images
What Does Working Per Diem Mean?
When you apply for some jobs, you sometimes hear the term “per diem.” Many people don’t know what that actually means or...
What Does a Per Diem Position in a Hospital Mean?
The term "per diem" means per day, but it may relate to two issues in the workplace. Per diem may refer to...
- What Does "Hiring Range" Mean on Salary?
- What Does Job Function Mean?
What Are the Benefits of Rotating Shifts to Companies?
Shift rotations allow a business to distribute talent effectively, improve cohesiveness and enhance training and development.
- What Does "Per Diem Shifts" Mean?
- How Does Shift Bidding Work?
Types of Work Shift Schedules
Shift work is a type of work scheduling system that requires you to work outside of the standard morning to evening (such...