Different Names for Overhanging Eaves


Eaves are the lower edges of the roof that extend beyond the wall of a building or structure. The eave is used to provide weather protection to the building by creating an overhang edge along the roof perimeter. Several names have been used to describe overhang eaves.


  • Overhang is the most common term used for eaves, since it describes the physical aspect of the eave.


  • Soffit is a type of eave, which is a board underneath the extended edge of the roof. Using this building term is an alternative way to describe eaves.



  • Projection describes the edge of the roof, which is the overhang eave. Building codes use the term "projection" when referencing eaves.

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!