A variety of attractive plants commonly found in many yards and gardens are poisonous. Deadly nightshade is a flowering ornamental that is considered highly toxic. Placing this plant in your yard or garden is not recommended for those who have small children and pets that frequently spend time outdoors. Consuming any part of the deadly nightshade can produce toxic effects.
Deadly nightshade is also known as belladonna and by its scientific name of Atropa belladonna. This flowering ornamental produces green foliage, red sap and flowers in shades of reddish-purple or greenish-purple. Deadly nightshade produces attractive, glossy berries that are purple-black. This flower is often used in landscape settings as an accent plant.
Deadly nightshade plants are poisonous plants and consuming the flowers or leaves of the plant produces symptoms of plant poisoning. The berries contain the highest concentration of the toxic alkaloid tropane and atropine. Those who ingest parts of this plant may experience rapid pulse, dilated pupils, fever, dry skin, hot flushed skin, dry mouth, difficulty swallowing, burning of the throat and severe headache. People who have consumed portions of this plant died within a short time of ingestion.
Deadly nightshade is a dangerous plant to have at home if you have pets. Deadly nightshade is poisonous to dogs, cats and horses. Animals that consume any portion of this plant may experience diarrhea, severe abdominal pain, gastrointestinal discomfort, excessive salivation, inappetence, confusion, weakness, slow heart rate, dilated pupils and central nervous system depression.
Contact your doctor or veterinarian if deadly nightshade plants are consumed. This is important even if a small portion of the plant is consumed or no symptoms are yet present. Consuming plant material can also cause serious allergic reactions that may cause symptoms such as hives, wheezing, difficulty breathing, swelling of the lips, swelling of the tongue and swelling of the throat. Children are at an increased risk of choking on plant parts.
Vegetable Plants That Are Not Poisonous for Dogs
Planting a garden can be difficult if you have dogs. Dogs can get sick from snacking on certain plants and many plants...
Causes of Excessive Drooling in Dogs
If your dog greets you with a mouth full of slobber, it may be normal or it may be a sign of...
How to Identify Poisonous Bittersweet Nightshade Plants
Bittersweet nightshade is a plant whose nature is as rich and complex as its name. While poisonous, the Solanum dulcamara has been...
How to Get Rid of Deadly Nightshade
Deadly nightshade (Atropa belladonna), also referred to as bitter nightshade, is a highly-toxic, perennial herb from the solanaceae family that also includes...
How to Get Rid of Nightshade
Atropa belladonna, otherwise known as nightshade, deadly nightshade, devil's herb and belladonna, is considered a toxic plant. Though nightshade has medicinal purposes,...
What is a Nightshade Plant?
Nightshade plants, often referred to as deadly nightshade, are a variety of plant species that falls under the genus Solanum. These plants...
Are Tomatoes Nightshade Plants?
The Nightshade family is known to have some very toxic plants among its members. The tomato fruit was once believed to be...
Dangerous Rainforest Plants
Although a number of medicines are derived from plants native to rainforests, there are also a number of plants in the tropics...
List of Shapes for Leaf Identification
According to Oregon State's Department of Horticulture, leaves are a common way of identifying plants. Leaves may be broad or narrow, simple...