Black Mold Vs. Regular Mold

Save

A musty odor that lingers, or the appearance of dark spots on walls, ceilings and on grout, are indicators of a possible mold problem in a home. After verifying the presence of mold, it is important to determine whether it's regular mold or something more sinister like Stachybotrys chartarum -- black mold.

Black or Green, What Does It Mean?

  • Mold is a moisture-loving fungus made up of spores of various sizes. Some mold spores are as small as 3 microns, while others are as large as 40 microns. Mold spores also vary in color. For instance, mold spores that grow behind wallpaper often have a yellow or pink hue. Mold spores that grow on open walls and tile are usually green, brown and sometimes black. Black mold is often the most worrisome. Nevertheless, the presence of black mold spores does not necessarily mean that there is a toxic problem.

When Is Mold Just Mold?

  • While the presence of regular mold is not ideal, the existence of black or toxic mold poses serious health risks. Regular mold becomes dangerous when it begins to produce toxins. The poisonous toxin associated with black mold is mycotoxin. Mycotoxins are organic compounds or secondary metabolites that play no direct role in the growth of the mold. It is also important to note that mycotoxins are not only associated with indoor molds but plant crops as well.

Same Solution, Toxic or Not

  • Whether mold is regular or of the toxic black variety, it is important to stop its spread. To do this, it is important to cut off its moisture supply. Any types of water seepage including leaky pipes, leaky roofs and wall cracks that provide an entry point for moisture require immediate mitigation. Cleanup begins afterward with the use of products such as bleach solutions that kill the mold on hard surfaces. Carpeting, drywall and other porous materials that absorb moisture usually require disposal.

A Final Note

  • Black and regular mold sometimes cause even those with healthy immune symptoms to become symptomatic. If mold is suspected of causing health issues, it is important to see a physician. While regular mold is able to cause allergies, allergy-like symptoms and other illness, the mycotoxins in black mold are historically responsible for mycotoxicosis -- a toxic poisoning that sometimes leads to death.

Related Searches

References

  • Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

Resources

You May Also Like

  • Is Mold in Air Vents Normal?

    To some extent, mold inside your home can not be avoided. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, mold is...

  • Black Mold vs. Mildew

    For many years we've heard the advertising for cleaning products promising to remove mold and mildew. Relatively recently though, we've all be...

  • Black Mold Vs. Household Mold

    Mold of any kind is not pleasant, but there is toxic mold called black mold that is very different from common household...

  • How to Identify Black and Brown Mold

    Black and brown mold are the molds that are harmful to health due to toxins. Though there are molds that are black...

  • When Is Black Mold Toxic?

    Numerous species of molds can grow inside a home, most of which are not harmful to humans and only present cosmetic and...

  • Is White Mold or Black Mold Worse?

    The majority of molds that grow indoors are not harmful to humans and present only cosmetic and sanitation concerns. There are some...

  • The Best Way to Get Rid of Pink Mold

    Mold is a worldwide problem. It grows in the humid corners of homes, in the dark places of seldom-opened areas and can...

Related Searches

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!